Skip to main content

What's still missing from the Guardian First Book Award list?

Bright Young Things mentioned in passing in  blog:    


Interesting point made on why small and regional indies often miss out on making the lists:


'A major stumbling block, it turns out, was the entrance fee of £150 a book. This may not seem much, but it's a lot to a small publisher.'

If all four of the Bright Young Things debuts had been entered last year that would have cost £600... and yet elsewhere Tyler Keevil's excellent Fireball took the Readers Choice Award at Wales Book of the Year and I managed a long-listing for the Edge Hill Prize. Should special consideration and lower entrance fees be given to the small presses for such prizes? It seems something needs to change.

More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/jul/18/first-book-award-missing-list






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Be There Dreckly: Cornwall Summer 2026

 Here, there and everywhere this summer... finally got back to Cornwall for a few sunny days... 

Am Writing: Greece 2026

I have had a little solo trip away to Greece writing, reading, swimming, resting, being eaten by bugs and conversing with goats.

Audio File: The Carnivore Boyfriends

Missing my voice? Hear me read a new poem from the latest issue of Poetry Wales here ... Warning: I swear.