Skip to main content

The book launch letdown

"Meanwhile, we may want to discuss the fact that book launches are always fairly horrible, even setting illness aside. And this isn't just my opinion – I have checked with other writers and creative sorts, including actors – whom you would think were simply gagging for engagement with the wider public – and the feedback has been comfortingly similar. It seems that for many of us, representing our work in the wider world always feels both disappointingly anti-climactic and weird. At a certain level you're aware that, even if you could call yourself an artist at other times, you are currently much more of a pimp. And, given that you're halfway pimping yourself… well, your job description gets rapidly less appetising."


http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/23/book-launch-letdown-al-kennedy?CMP=twt_fd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Be There Dreckly: Cornwall Summer 2026

 Here, there and everywhere this summer... finally got back to Cornwall for a few sunny days... 

Am Writing: Greece 2026

I have had a little solo trip away to Greece writing, reading, swimming, resting, being eaten by bugs and conversing with goats.

Audio File: The Carnivore Boyfriends

Missing my voice? Hear me read a new poem from the latest issue of Poetry Wales here ... Warning: I swear.