Skip to main content

When every Edinburgh show gets five stars, rating-system inflation has won




'The star rating system that is now ubiquitous across all cultural criticism began on the Edinburgh fringe. With the Scotsman running hundreds of reviews throughout August, it had to find a way to make certain shows stand out amid the newsprint. Star ratings did the job very nicely. But are all stars equal, and do they mean anything at all outside the three weeks of the fringe?'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/aug/21/critics-notebook-lyn-gardner?CMP=twt_gu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Be There Dreckly: Cornwall Summer 2026

 Here, there and everywhere this summer... finally got back to Cornwall for a few sunny days... 

Am Writing: Greece 2026

I have had a little solo trip away to Greece writing, reading, swimming, resting, being eaten by bugs and conversing with goats.

Audio File: The Carnivore Boyfriends

Missing my voice? Hear me read a new poem from the latest issue of Poetry Wales here ... Warning: I swear.