Skip to main content

On Being a Poet in Wales: Rae Howells

Did you know that bumble bees can vibrate their bodies at the pitch of a middle C? It’s a remarkable skill, something they do to get flowers to release their pollen.I have written a poem about it, and it’s one of my favourite ones to read aloud. It gets a great reaction from the audience, mainly, I think, because it is joyful.“I am more than you,” the poem declares. “I am a musical note.”

There is defiance, and delight, and magic in trying to climb inside a bee’s perspective and understand how it must feel to resonate at that perfect pitch, to be in such harmony with the world.

It’s this joy in nature that has spurred me to write both of my poetry collections, though in different ways.

Read the full feature about how Rae's love of nature has informed both of her poetry collections on Nation.Cymru

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Be There Dreckly: Cornwall Summer 2026

 Here, there and everywhere this summer... finally got back to Cornwall for a few sunny days... 

Am Writing: Greece 2026

I have had a little solo trip away to Greece writing, reading, swimming, resting, being eaten by bugs and conversing with goats.

Audio File: The Carnivore Boyfriends

Missing my voice? Hear me read a new poem from the latest issue of Poetry Wales here ... Warning: I swear.