Skip to main content

Created to Read reviews This Common Uncommon

'Can poetry protect the natural world? Can it actually change the course of events? Many poets are attempting to do just that, but it’s not often that a collection is published with a specific purpose, centred on a particular location. Rae Howells’ latest book focuses on West Cross Common, a small area of peat-based heathland on the edge of Swansea, which is currently under threat of development. But these poems do far more than protest. They celebrate the minutiae of a rare and intricate habitat, the kind of inconspicuous scrubland that many of us would normally walk past without a second glance. […] These poems fulfil the author’s aim, stated in the introduction: they ‘give voice to the unheeded – the common itself, the plants and animals that live on it’. But they also dramatize a very real and ongoing tension. This is a book that delights in the small and the inconspicuous, forging a celebratory link between us and the areas of common land that we so often take for granted.’

Many thanks to Rachel Carney / Created to Read for this wonderful review of Rae Howells’ latest poetry collection This Common Uncommon (Parthian Books)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sea Horse: Happy New Year!

  Welcome 2023. I went to the sea and saw a sea horse.

Birthday Treat 2: London for Sierra Ferrell & Nina Hamnett

We had a wonderful trip to London to see the magical unmatchable talent that is Sierra Ferrell in Kentish Town and I also ran off for a sneak peak at Nina Hamnett's wonderful new green room at Tate Britain, getting there early (as the doors opened), I had the room and Nina all to myself. I've long had a fascination with Nina, and my poetry on her has been published in Poetry Wales  and been read at events with Celine's Soho Salon at Tenby Museum and Art Gallery.  I also featured her in a tour organised with Literature Wales in London many years ago now... and I am currently working on a longer project featuring Nina, her art and her life. The sea, the sea, the sea Is such a salty, magic place If you find yourself goin' under You'll remember the taste The waves, the waves, the waves How they're puttin' out my flame Woah, that's okay, I should be more tame

The New Elysium is Open!

It was an absolute joy to be in Swansea for the opening of the new Elysium Gallery art centre in the city centre, I'm so proud of Jon and Dan and the team who have all worked so hard on this, and over the preceding years and many, many venues...  It was lovely to see friends old and new there and nose around the open studios. Do go along and use the cafe, go to events, see the shows... I will be getting involved with some literary things there in the future too... Andre Stitt – Estateless continues at the new space on Belle Vue Way. Music continues at the old venue, now called Down by Here but still programmed by Scott, who is putting on some class acts.