Skip to main content

MSLEXIA REVIEW: "Thatcher wields form like a whip."


Thanks to Ellora Sutton and Mslexia for a lovely review of Christina Thatcher's third poetry collection, Breaking a Mare in issue 106. Here are some snippets:

"Breaking a Mare is Christina Thatcher’s ode to growing up on a horse ranch in Pennsylvania, a space where girls are taught 'never show / you’re willing to stay down’ (‘Get back on the horse’). But there are other lessons, too, subtly communicated by the ranch’s mares."

"Thatcher has a direct style, comparable to Selima Hill; she shows us, with precise detail, what’s on the surface, the veil through which uneasiness seeps"
"Thatcher wields form like a whip."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Be There Dreckly: Cornwall Summer 2026

 Here, there and everywhere this summer... finally got back to Cornwall for a few sunny days... 

Am Writing: Greece 2026

I have had a little solo trip away to Greece writing, reading, swimming, resting, being eaten by bugs and conversing with goats.

Audio File: The Carnivore Boyfriends

Missing my voice? Hear me read a new poem from the latest issue of Poetry Wales here ... Warning: I swear.