Skip to main content

BYT: Little People

Bright Young Things LogoAUGUST 2010


Little People

‘Little people. Little people. Everywhere.
‘That was my first impression of Camp Bestival. There was also quite a lot of screaming, and not of the crowd loving a good band kind. More the ‘I’m teething waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah’ kind. Still, I’m a big kid at heart. I figured I’d survive as a childless punter at a child-friendly festival. I pictured balloon animals and top notch fancy dress.  I was not let down.’
I went to Camp Bestival in my ‘Top Music Journalist’ role at the weekend.
You can read my review about it over on Artrocker.tv … word count was teeny tiny so here are some other observations…
*Little people wake up early. This is worth remembering if you go to bed late AKA early, the kind of early that is perhaps a few minutes before those little people are up screaming, and playing tag around your tent. Loudly. I’d suggest stealing a pair of those brightly coloured kids’ headphones that you see on the children sprawled out practically unconscious by the mainstage speakers of an evening. They seem to work well at drowning out all noise. I failed to do that so got up early too. So early that the shower queue was only 2 hours long.
*Scroobius Pip doing his spoken word stuff without dan le sac is AMAZING. I had a nice chat with him after his packed out Lit Tent set and let him keep my pen for all the signings that were demanded of him. Proper good.
*Ellie Goulding: Besides the fact that she sings in that ‘allwordsrunintoone’ way that annoys the crap out of me, the fact that her trousers are badly ill-fitting distracts me too much. I walk away.
*These are some of the creatures I saw at Animal Farm: peacocks and hens and roosters and bunny rabbits and goats and ponies and pigs and birds that look a bit like emus, but aren’t emus. My favourite was Oscar the Rabbit. He looked fierce.
I’m performing in London Town this weekend at my pal’s fundraiser in Chalk Farm. There’s loads of top acts, music, fancy dress and fun and frolics. Come along :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm on the Edge Hill Short Story Prize long-list

'Some of the biggest names in the literary world have entered their works in the prestigious Edge Hill University's Short Story Prize 2011.' 'The unique accolade, now in its fifth year, is the UK's only literary award that recognises a published collection of short stories and has attracted entries from a number of distinguished writers and newcomers all competing for the winning title.' I'd be one of those newcomers then. Yay! http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/news/2011/03/big-names-revealed-in-edge-hill-short-story-prize Literature Wales ran a story too: Three Welsh Writers longlisted for Edge Hill Short Story Prize Three Welsh Writers on Long List for Prestigious Award Welsh writers  Vanessa Gebbie ,  Susie Wild  and  Martin Bax  are on the long list for the prestigious Edge Hill University's Short Story Prize 2011. The unique accolade, now in its fifth year, is the UK's only literary award that recognises a published collection of short storie

Gig Alert: Bad Ideas\Chemicals Cosmic Relaunch

I'll be reading a few poems at Lloyd Markham's event at the Full Moon with other performers and musicians... Come along! Here's the poster: Following that I will be giving a lunchtime reading at Can Openers in Bristol on 1 December, and then hosting and reading at Brown's Poems & Pints in Laugharne on 7 December... Then I'm taking a little festive season break before returning with gigs in Carmarthen, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport and more in 2018. Susie x

Buzz Blog: The Passion | Stage Review

> REVIEWS THE PASSION | STAGE REVIEW BY  SUSIE WILD   ⋅  APRIL 27, 2011  ⋅   POST A COMMENT FILED UNDER    MICHAEL SHEEN ,  PORT TALBOT ,  THE PASSION **** Various locations, Port Talbot Fri 22 – Sun 24 April Cast includes: Michael Sheen, Matthew Aubrey, Nigel Barrett, Francine Morgan and Matthew Woodyatt. Michael Sheen became a Messiah of his home town over the Easter weekend with his leading role in a 72-hour epic retelling of The Passion, yet is was Port Talbot that was the real star of the show. For the sheer numbers in the audience (6000+), and national and international press attention  The Passion  is an ambitious event sure to go down in folklore. Two years in the planning and several months in community build up,  National Theatre Wales  joined forces with Cornwall’s  WildWorks  to create a multi-platform delivery of an age-old tale co-directed by local-boy-done-good  Michael Sheen  and the innovative  Bill Mitchell . In this version of The Passion, poet and author  Owen S