Skip to main content

BYT: 5-4-3-2-1

Bright Young Things Logo

SEPTEMBER 2010
5-4-3-2-1

THE BYTs HAVE LIFT OFF!
‘Hello September 2010. How are you doing? I do hope you are going to be good to us Bright Young Things. What with our books being launched this month and all.’
‘You are? How marvellous!’
Yes that’s right folks, all four titles in the Parthian Bright Young Things range launch this month, starting on Friday 17th at the Dylan Thomas Centre in Swansea. So dust off your glad rags, and get yourselves some new dancing shoes. The BYT party season is upon us, and I for one, can’t wait. Clink, clink.
What other news do I have for you? Let me see.
GREEN MAN FESTIVAL
Photo by Rosie Reed Gold (2010)
Mother Nature tried damn hard, but I did not drown at Green Man 2010. Also, considering my general dislike of being cold and wet, I didn’t moan that much either. In fact I fear I may have had rather a fun time.  Get me. With my performer pass. And my guest tickets. And my seeing Wayne Flaming Lips under a tree backstage and all. Yes I saw the Flaming Lips. Yes they played that song that I appear to love for unknown reasons:
I know a girl who reminds me of Cher,
She’s always changing the colour of her hair,
She don’t use nothing
That ya buy at the store [...]
She uses tangerines..
.’
No I didn’t fall down in the mud. Yes I probably shouldn’t have had that last drink. Yes, that probably was the biggest audience I’ve had at one of my poetry readings SO FAR (Thanks Sunday Afternoon Literature Tent Crowd). Yes some of my friends really did say ‘We came at 3.30pm but you weren’t on stage so we left…’ Erm, guys, there were five poets on the bill, and we were in alphabetical order. D’oh. Yes we were listed as four of Patrick Jones’ favourite Welsh poets. Yes I know I’m notactually… Yes we were all women. Yes I think that was on purpose. Thanks to all who came along. Thanks also to my fellow performers Mab JonesRhian Edwardsand Sophie McKeand. No I’m still really not at all bored of wearing The Tiger Hat. Yes Laura Dockrill and John Cooper Clarke really were that f’ing fantastic. So was In Chapters. Murder. M-U-R-D-E-R. Yes, you had to be there.  Yes the Comedy Tent can be a saviour in lifting spirits in damp festival times (Thanks going to Andrew Watts as one off-the-top-of-my-head example). Yes placing Comedy and Literature in the same tent may confuse Guardian Journalists like Nancy Groves. Yes, sometimes it is better when the bands are really noisy at a folk festival and wake you the hell up (Islet, you were brilliant). Rain or no rain, this is still a favourite festival of mine. They paid me this year. But not to say that.
BUGGED
I like eavesdropping and people watching. So I entered a poem about an overheard chat about a giant pencil into national eavesdropping project Bugged.org 10 minutes or so before the deadline. Guess what? Jo Bell (ace poet behind Bugged and National Poetry Day) only went and picked me to be in the book. Yay. I’ll be at the Birmingham Launch on the evening of 21st October 2010. More details soon.
OTHER DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
I’ll be performing a fair whack in the next couple of months. As well as the BYT launches (Swansea, Bangor, Aberystwyth, and London), here are some more dates for your diary:
I will (rather appropriately) be reading extracts from The Art of Contraception at Sex Wales and Anarchy 3 on September 4th 2010 at The Coal Exchange, Cardiff Bay (I’m on sometime between 1 and 5pm).
I will be reading extracts from my book The Art of Contraception as the main feature at The Crunch, Mozart’s, Swansea on Thursday 14 October (8.30pm open mic sign up, 9pm start. Arrive early if you want a seat).
The Bright Young Things will be appearing at BayLit Festival: The Shock of the New 2010 (30 October, Cardiff).
PS
Isn’t it nice to have all the boys back on blog duty? I’m sure glad to see their words here, at any rate. Welcome back from summertime Tyler and James.
Roarmiaow for now,
Soooooooooooooz 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm on the Edge Hill Short Story Prize long-list

'Some of the biggest names in the literary world have entered their works in the prestigious Edge Hill University's Short Story Prize 2011.' 'The unique accolade, now in its fifth year, is the UK's only literary award that recognises a published collection of short stories and has attracted entries from a number of distinguished writers and newcomers all competing for the winning title.' I'd be one of those newcomers then. Yay! http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/news/2011/03/big-names-revealed-in-edge-hill-short-story-prize Literature Wales ran a story too: Three Welsh Writers longlisted for Edge Hill Short Story Prize Three Welsh Writers on Long List for Prestigious Award Welsh writers  Vanessa Gebbie ,  Susie Wild  and  Martin Bax  are on the long list for the prestigious Edge Hill University's Short Story Prize 2011. The unique accolade, now in its fifth year, is the UK's only literary award that recognises a published collection of short storie

Gig Alert: Bad Ideas\Chemicals Cosmic Relaunch

I'll be reading a few poems at Lloyd Markham's event at the Full Moon with other performers and musicians... Come along! Here's the poster: Following that I will be giving a lunchtime reading at Can Openers in Bristol on 1 December, and then hosting and reading at Brown's Poems & Pints in Laugharne on 7 December... Then I'm taking a little festive season break before returning with gigs in Carmarthen, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport and more in 2018. Susie x

Buzz Blog: The Passion | Stage Review

> REVIEWS THE PASSION | STAGE REVIEW BY  SUSIE WILD   ⋅  APRIL 27, 2011  ⋅   POST A COMMENT FILED UNDER    MICHAEL SHEEN ,  PORT TALBOT ,  THE PASSION **** Various locations, Port Talbot Fri 22 – Sun 24 April Cast includes: Michael Sheen, Matthew Aubrey, Nigel Barrett, Francine Morgan and Matthew Woodyatt. Michael Sheen became a Messiah of his home town over the Easter weekend with his leading role in a 72-hour epic retelling of The Passion, yet is was Port Talbot that was the real star of the show. For the sheer numbers in the audience (6000+), and national and international press attention  The Passion  is an ambitious event sure to go down in folklore. Two years in the planning and several months in community build up,  National Theatre Wales  joined forces with Cornwall’s  WildWorks  to create a multi-platform delivery of an age-old tale co-directed by local-boy-done-good  Michael Sheen  and the innovative  Bill Mitchell . In this version of The Passion, poet and author  Owen S