Monday, 12 December 2011

Where's the good fiction by women gone?

"In a recent blog for the Scottish Review of Books, I wrote about the lack of quality fiction by women currently being published. Or should I say, not being published. I speak as a reviewer: I review paperbacks and hardbacks for Scottish and London broadsheets, approximately 20-25 books per month, and mainly books by women. My London editor had complained she couldn't find enough fiction by women to send me; the book cupboard in my local newspaper office was almost bare of any (and by "any", I mean fiction by women that isn't chick-lit, a Tudor romance, doesn't involve vampires/witches/demons, or isn't formulaic crime). Where was the good stuff, I asked? The original literary novel, or the high-end commercial work?"

No comments: