Skip to main content

I am blogging for Mslexia again. Here is Post Number One.


Feb
02



Greetings Readers. I have returned to the friendly familiar fold of the Mslexia blog for three months only.
Roll up.
Roll up.
Read all about it.
Some of you may remember me from a year of blogging as Mslexia‘s Literary It Girl (2010-2011). This time, instead of blogging about launches and literati parties, I shall be blogging about penning my first very own One Woman Show to take on the road, and hopefully to Edinburgh Festival.
I went to Edinburgh Festival for the first time this year where I performed a few poems at a friend’s fringe gig and crammed in seeing as many shows as I possibly could. I loved it. I want to go back. Living in Cardiff, although there is a thriving literary scene, there has been a lack of spoken word solo shows and of big names including a stop in Wales on their UK tours.
Lately, though, this has been shifting, with people like Luke Wright and John Osborne being booked for Wales Millennium Centre, and Laura DockrillByron Vincent and Hannah Silva crossing the border. The rise of the spoken word show is also influencing an increasingly eclectic range of events in the capital.
Old regulars include Seren’s monthly First Thursday poetry event which includes performances, readings and an open mic and the Dylan Thomas Centre’s Poets in the Bookshop on the last Thursday of the month in Swansea which has a similar format. The charming music and word collaboration In Chapters sees writers and musicians write new material on a theme and has been graced by authors Rachel Trezise, Catrin Dafydd, Dan Rhodes, Niall Griffiths, Rob Lewis and myself  whilst the ever-popular late night The Crunch continues to be held at Mozart’s in Swansea. Newer editions include National Theatre Wales’ Word4Word and The Unemployed Daytime Disco in Cardiff and the Folk Collective in Newport. I also host two literary salons – Uplands Literary Salon at Noah’s Yard in Swansea and Cardiff Literary Salon at Cardiff Arts Institute which offer performances, readings and good literary conversation.
More recently the range of performers competing in the last John Tripp Award for Spoken Poetry raised the game with two women taking the top prizes – my awesome mate Rhian Edwards won both the Final and the Audience Award whilst newcomer Naomi Alderson took second prize. Rhian Edward’s much-hyped first collection Clueless Dogs will be launched in May 2012. Alderson was also one of the performers at another excellent recent night – Literary Pecha Kucha, the poet Mab Jones’ regular event run in association with Literature Wales. During the event each speaker talks about 20 slides for 20 seconds a piece. Alderson joined T S Eliot prize winner Philip Gross and Saturday Live’s Susan Richardson for the event. You can see the videos on Literature Wales’ YouTube Channel.
As part of my research for putting together this one woman show I plan to travel about to see shows and gauge audiences across the country. I have been impressed by Sophie McKeand’s experimental spoken word event The Absurd in Mold, and also hope to get up to Manchester and Liverpool as well as West Wales, Bristol and Bath. Improved last train times have meant I’ve been able to enjoy events at Bristol’s Old Vic including the excellent recent festival Ferment that nurtures new shows and new talent. I particularly enjoyed a double bill of spoken word works-in-progress – there was comedy and singing and insightful musings on mental health from rising star Jack Dean (‘Rain’) and then a layered and haunting triptych of sound pieces that make up ‘Prosthetics’ by the vocally inventive Hannah Silva; who proved comedy is not essential to hold an audience’s attention.
I also plan to grab top tips from industry experts on voice, learning lines, booking venues, nerves, costumes, props, sets and all manner of other things that come up along the way. Later this month I shall be attending the Edinburgh Fringe Roadshow in London to see what advice they have for me. I am supporting Luke Wright at the aforementioned The Absurd in Mold on 27 March where I shall be showcasing some of the new material, and following that I will be putting together a show reel film and a promo website to send off to festivals and venues to try and get some gigs. I’ll be blogging about the highs and lows and the top tips I find here.
So, erm… Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzz Blog: The Passion | Stage Review

> REVIEWS THE PASSION | STAGE REVIEW BY  SUSIE WILD   ⋅  APRIL 27, 2011  ⋅   POST A COMMENT FILED UNDER    MICHAEL SHEEN ,  PORT TALBOT ,  THE PASSION **** Various locations, Port Talbot Fri 22 – Sun 24 April Cast includes: Michael Sheen, Matthew Aubrey, Nigel Barrett, Francine Morgan and Matthew Woodyatt. Michael Sheen became a Messiah of his home town over the Easter weekend with his leading role in a 72-hour epic retelling of The Passion, yet is was Port Talbot that was the real star of the show. For the sheer numbers in the audience (6000+), and national and international press attention  The Passion  is an ambitious event sure to go down in folklore. Two years in the planning and several months in community build up,  National Theatre Wales  joined forces with Cornwall’s  WildWorks  to create a multi-platform delivery of an age-old tale co-directed by local-boy-done-good  Michael Sheen  and the innovative  Bill Mitchell . In this version of The Passion, poet and author  Owen S

Gig Alert: Bad Ideas\Chemicals Cosmic Relaunch

I'll be reading a few poems at Lloyd Markham's event at the Full Moon with other performers and musicians... Come along! Here's the poster: Following that I will be giving a lunchtime reading at Can Openers in Bristol on 1 December, and then hosting and reading at Brown's Poems & Pints in Laugharne on 7 December... Then I'm taking a little festive season break before returning with gigs in Carmarthen, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport and more in 2018. Susie x

The Lonely Crowd: Susie Wild On Writing ‘Looks Like Rain’

' It began with the opening image. I usually start stories or poems with an image, a line or a character. I’m a visual learner, an introvert observer of others. Knowing I’d agreed to write this piece I’ve been racking my brain and notebooks for the seed that planted the first page.' Read the article in full on The Lonely Crowd  website. My story 'Looks Like Rain' is in the new Spring 2016 Issue, out now. I'll be reading it at the Little Man launch in Cardiff on 20th May.