Skip to main content

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Lots to report, lots to report...

1. Rarebit, my anthology of 21 illustrated short stories to celebrate Parthian's 21st birthday launched on National Short Story Day - 21/12/2013 and is currently Welsh Book of the Month in Waterstones for January 2014. Contributor Dan Tyte wrote a fab blog about the launch so I don't have to. I'm pleased as punch with all involved, especially that John Abell for all the amazing artwork, and Team Parthian for lots of help in many other ways. Here's a little anecdote from my weekend:

On Saturday I ran into a friend outside the pasty shop, as you do. 'I've just bought Rarebit,' she said, quickly adding 'for a friend' as if it were a dangerous book to be caught buying for yourself. 'I saw it because it was on the Book of the Month table in Waterstones Cardiff. Actually, the person in the queue behind me was buying it too.' Here's a snap of the display of Rarebits in Waterstones after this conversation on Saturday. Book of the Month all month long, who'd have thought...http://www.parthianbooks.com/content/rarebit





2. Dan Tyte! As well as being in Rarebit we launch Dan's debut novel Half Plus Seven with a party in Cardiff Fashion Quarter next month. He's been picked as One to Watch in 2014 by the Western Mail and he's also had other people saying good words about him, words like these:

"A lethal cocktail of Bukowski and
Mad Men, finished with a twist of dry Welsh wit."- Mike Williams, NME Editor 








Read more: http://www.parthianbooks.com/content/magnificent-seven-member-6-dan-tyte



3. I've got a new part-time job (...but I am not leaving Parthian). I start lecturing on the MA in Creative and Critical Writing at the University of Gloucestershire this week. I'm very happy about this.

4. I've been working on some wonderful books coming out this year. My first spring/summer batch includes Rarebit, Dan Tyte's novel Half Plus Seven, Carly Holmes' novel The Scrapbook, Kit Habianic's novel Until Our Blood Is Dry, Georgia Carys Williams' short story collection Second-hand Rain, and two titles from Michael Oliver-Semenov - Sunbathing in Siberia (Travel memoir) and The Elephant's Foot (Poetry). I am also looking forward to the release of debut novels from Tom Anderson and Susmita Bhattacharya in the autumn. See you at the launches, festivals and literary tours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzz Blog: The Passion | Stage Review

> REVIEWS THE PASSION | STAGE REVIEW BY  SUSIE WILD   ⋅  APRIL 27, 2011  ⋅   POST A COMMENT FILED UNDER    MICHAEL SHEEN ,  PORT TALBOT ,  THE PASSION **** Various locations, Port Talbot Fri 22 – Sun 24 April Cast includes: Michael Sheen, Matthew Aubrey, Nigel Barrett, Francine Morgan and Matthew Woodyatt. Michael Sheen became a Messiah of his home town over the Easter weekend with his leading role in a 72-hour epic retelling of The Passion, yet is was Port Talbot that was the real star of the show. For the sheer numbers in the audience (6000+), and national and international press attention  The Passion  is an ambitious event sure to go down in folklore. Two years in the planning and several months in community build up,  National Theatre Wales  joined forces with Cornwall’s  WildWorks  to create a multi-platform delivery of an age-old tale co-directed by local-boy-done-good  Michael Sheen  and the innovative  Bill Mitchell . In this version of The Passion, poet and author  Owen S

Gig Alert: Bad Ideas\Chemicals Cosmic Relaunch

I'll be reading a few poems at Lloyd Markham's event at the Full Moon with other performers and musicians... Come along! Here's the poster: Following that I will be giving a lunchtime reading at Can Openers in Bristol on 1 December, and then hosting and reading at Brown's Poems & Pints in Laugharne on 7 December... Then I'm taking a little festive season break before returning with gigs in Carmarthen, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport and more in 2018. Susie x

The Lonely Crowd: Susie Wild On Writing ‘Looks Like Rain’

' It began with the opening image. I usually start stories or poems with an image, a line or a character. I’m a visual learner, an introvert observer of others. Knowing I’d agreed to write this piece I’ve been racking my brain and notebooks for the seed that planted the first page.' Read the article in full on The Lonely Crowd  website. My story 'Looks Like Rain' is in the new Spring 2016 Issue, out now. I'll be reading it at the Little Man launch in Cardiff on 20th May.