Skip to main content

Hay Festival 2014

I had a splendid time at the Hay Festival this year. On my first trip up we were celebrating Parthian's 21st birthday with a cabaret style evening of readings, mini q&a sessions and an amazing birthday cake made by one of the fab Hay crew. Rich and I hosted and evening that featured readings from Tyler Keevil, Rachel Trezise, Sion Tomos Owen, Jemma L. King, Carly Holmes, Holly Muller, Dan Tyte, and Joao Morais, and an interview with Rarebit's illustrator John Abell. Here are a few photos...

Books, Books, Books: Including the first outing of new books Tonypandemonium by Rachel Trezise and The Undressed by Jemma L. King

Let Them Eat Cake



Autograph Corner

Deckchairs and Wine

Me + Hay Loot

The Parthian Dance Troupe?

With many thanks to the Queen of Hay Street Style Rebecca Pescod for taking these! We all had rather a lot of fun and we hope you did too...
Rebecca is Never Underdressed


Bethan Elfyn (L) and Viv Albertine (R) on air on BBC Wales. I'm just out of shot.

Dan Tyte was also on the show earlier in the week

Hay week also featured readings and interviews with John Harrison, Ifor Thomas, Dai Smith, Rachel Trezise, Jemma L. King, Jon Gower, and many more from Parthian's 21 year history. On the last Saturday of the festival I met some of my favourite writers including Lorrie Moore, Joshua Ferris, and Siri Hustvedt and they all signed my books. I also happened to pop by the BBC Radio Wales Hay Studio to have an on air chat with Bethan Elfyn at the same time as Viv Albertine, and if you are quick enough you can listen again to me here, I am about 43 minutes in, just after Viv Albertine and therefore a bit of a tripping-over-my-words fan girl, but there is some sense and the music that comes before makes it worth listening from the start, trust me.


That evening I attended the special Dylan Thomas event [416] with Rob Brydon, Tom Hollander, Cerys Matthews and Jonathan Pryce, and featuring Jeff Towns' A Pearl of Great Price. The BBC have uploaded the session onto iPlayer, so you can watch it online now.



Sunday was more of a pottering day of pub lunches, shop browsing and sitting in the sun but I did manage to see Rhian Elizabeth and Matthew Francis talking about unreliable narrators with Jon Gower, and rounded off the festival with a hilarious Bill Bailey, who made me laugh so much it hurt.


Next up: Catch me on the Sunbathing in Siberia Tour with Michael Oliver-Semenov and Parthian Books. Weds 4th June, Mozart's, Swansea 8pm. Thurs 5th June, Cameo Club, Pontcanna, Cardiff 7.30pm and book signings at Waterstones Cardiff and Wellfield Road Bookshop in Cardiff on Sat 7th June.

Then I'll be getting ready to host Speed Dating Writers at Dinefwr Festival followed by my own birthday fun. See you out and about!

Sooz x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzz Blog: The Passion | Stage Review

> REVIEWS THE PASSION | STAGE REVIEW BY  SUSIE WILD   ⋅  APRIL 27, 2011  ⋅   POST A COMMENT FILED UNDER    MICHAEL SHEEN ,  PORT TALBOT ,  THE PASSION **** Various locations, Port Talbot Fri 22 – Sun 24 April Cast includes: Michael Sheen, Matthew Aubrey, Nigel Barrett, Francine Morgan and Matthew Woodyatt. Michael Sheen became a Messiah of his home town over the Easter weekend with his leading role in a 72-hour epic retelling of The Passion, yet is was Port Talbot that was the real star of the show. For the sheer numbers in the audience (6000+), and national and international press attention  The Passion  is an ambitious event sure to go down in folklore. Two years in the planning and several months in community build up,  National Theatre Wales  joined forces with Cornwall’s  WildWorks  to create a multi-platform delivery of an age-old tale co-directed by local-boy-done-good  Michael Sheen  and the innovative  Bill Mitchell . In this version of The Passion, poet and author  Owen S

Gig Alert: Bad Ideas\Chemicals Cosmic Relaunch

I'll be reading a few poems at Lloyd Markham's event at the Full Moon with other performers and musicians... Come along! Here's the poster: Following that I will be giving a lunchtime reading at Can Openers in Bristol on 1 December, and then hosting and reading at Brown's Poems & Pints in Laugharne on 7 December... Then I'm taking a little festive season break before returning with gigs in Carmarthen, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport and more in 2018. Susie x

The Lonely Crowd: Susie Wild On Writing ‘Looks Like Rain’

' It began with the opening image. I usually start stories or poems with an image, a line or a character. I’m a visual learner, an introvert observer of others. Knowing I’d agreed to write this piece I’ve been racking my brain and notebooks for the seed that planted the first page.' Read the article in full on The Lonely Crowd  website. My story 'Looks Like Rain' is in the new Spring 2016 Issue, out now. I'll be reading it at the Little Man launch in Cardiff on 20th May.